This project is read-only.

New and inexperienced....

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Hi,

I am new to C# programming and especially GPS functionality.  I would like to learn much more about getting my laptop to connect and work with a GPS unit and display my position on a nautilc chart (I am a sailor).  I have downloaded the GPS.NET 3.0 & GeoFramework.  I have expanded each of the two ZIP files into seperate folders and note that there are several proj files in each.  Where do I start? I can not get any of the projects to load withput error (One or more projects in the solution could not be loaded for the following reason(s): The project file or web has been moved, renamed or is not on your computer.  These projects will be loaded as unavailable in Solution Explorer.  Expand the project node to show the reason the project could not be loaded.). and if I do let it load none will compile and run.

Is there something I am missing?

I would really like to get some help as obviousely it would take forever if I had to figure out and write all this code.

Thanks in advance.

Phill

Mar 28, 2010 at 10:49 AM

Phill,

The below is my response to your issue posting. Try to just post one discussion listing your problem and wait for a response - you seem to have two discussion posts and an issue all relating to the same thing! This can be annoying for the dev team and forum moderators...

I'm not part of the GPS.NET development team but...

You should probably first post your problem in the discussions, your likely to get more help there. As your new to C# programming you may find that many of your problems are not actual issues with the project but your familiarity with the tools and environment - though this may not be the case ;) The devs are often very busy and may not have time to provide help especially if they think the problems are related to inexperience and often they are the ones looking at issue lists. If you post in the discussions anyone who has similar issues (or interests) might be able to offer you some help.

You'll also probably need to provide more information. What ZIP files - the current stable release 3.01? What project did you load in Visual Studio? What projects are showing up as unavailable (the ones that failed to load)? The more infomation you provide the more likely you are to get help!

It's not clear from your post and I use the latest code in the repository but generally you would load a solution file (.sln extension) as it would reference the projects you need to build - although I gather you're using a sln if some projects are failing to load.

BTW From the sounds of what your trying to do getting the GPS talking is going to be the easy part. Displaying a chart and position information correctly involves a lot of tricky things. Not saying that you can't do it or you shouldn't go ahead but you will probably find there are many ways you can achieve what your trying to do without writing any code or building anything! Check out MapWindow http://mapwindow.org/ for a start - It's free, runs on windows, supports many file formats (although not all) and has a plugin that can display your position from a connected GPS overlaid on loaded files. You could even modify the code for both the application and plugin in case you need to do something specific for your application (like incorporate a wind speed indicator or navigation information/warnings etc). I assume you meant a nautical not nautilc chart unless it's a format I am unaware of. You can generally get or convert most files to shapefiles if you do have a funny format to deal with.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Thanks, for the reply and solution.  Sorry I have not got back to you sooner but I put this portion of the project aside so I could complete the database segments.  I also need to appologize for the duplicate postings but I was not sure which forum to post on, hence the duplicates, agian my appologies to all for that.

I agree with your first assumptipon that as being new to C# it is the loading of projects within the solution and there order etc which is more likely my issue than actual errors in the codebase.  I will also add more detail as you suggest to my post.

I am checking out MapWindow as you suggest, it may be an answer to my project.  And again your are correct in your assumption that I meant to type Nautical, my bad typing sorry.

Maybe you and other who know this product better can assist me in decideding if the is the right product to look at to solve my issues...

The projects is a Yacht Mangement and Navigation software package, as it will be used by boats to pre-plan there "Trip" or using it while underway, it is a desktop application written in C# with an Access database supporting it.  I came to look at this product to assist me in the Navigation portion.  The user will plug a GPS into his boats electronic system and the programm will display the users current position along with other GPS information on the screen, the user can then overlay there postion on a Navigational chart (BSB (vectorgrahic) format is the most common) then plan of follow there progress on the chart. 

I hope that this may help clear up why I am here and what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks again for your very consise response and suggestions.

Phill

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:41 AM
Edited Apr 6, 2010 at 11:44 AM

No problems SquireDude, I know what it's like to try to get into this kind of thing ;)

When you add the extra information to your post you might want to just copy the relevent information from the output window in VS - might save you some typing. As I mentioned before the I don't know how stable the "stable" releases are (on the download page) you may want to checkout or download the latest trunk revision from the code repository...

If you want to map something you will want to use some kind of mapping component as writing this sort of thing from scratch is a major undertaking - there is an awful lot to do so you may want to have a look around at your options. I suggested MapWindow and I still think this is probably your best bet as it satisfies your requirements as listed:

* Windows C# stand-alone desktop application
* Loads displays vector and raster file formats (though I'm not familiar with BSB - got a link to more info?)
* Can display graphic overlay information as well as handle user interaction click drag etc...
* Has an existing NMEA GPS plugin (Check the licensing for this plugin as it may differ from MapWIndow itself).

In addition:

* Is easily extensable via a plugin architecture.
* It is stable and still has very active development (Take a look at the V6 Beta).
* Has good documentation and development resources (wiki, forum, guides etc)
* Is released under a commercial friendly licence (LGPL I think - this may not matter if your app is going to be open source).

MapWindow will give you a good launch point as it is a great environment to prototype your functionality to see if it's up to the task your planning for it, besides if you need any of the functionality of the GPS .NET 3.0 project (it's far superior and covers more navigational scope than the GPS plugin in MapWindow) you can still incorporate it into your app!

Were getting off track from the purpose of your original post so maybe this isn't the place to go in to much more detail - If you need more help I may be able to provide it (if time permits) if you contact me directly...