Problem with component compass and Desktop Framework 3.5

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:28 AM

Hello people:

I try to program a application for desktop with visual Studio 2008 SP1 and Framework 3.5.

I try to use a compoment compass for my application, but when I put the component in the windows form happen a error, and visual Studio restart.

Anybody know a solution? or  don't I use this component?

Thank you

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Hi,

I have the same error. It does match with clock but other satelliteviewer, speed, compass, it doesn't match.

Did you solve the error ?

Thank you.

Tems

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:39 PM

Hi, I am having the same problem VS 2008 SP1. The project uses the .Net Framework 3.5 

When trying to add to a form the Sattelite Viewer, Altimeter or Compass control, Visual Studio crashes. The other controls are working fine.

Thanks,
Diego.

Dec 26, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Not a solution guys, but this often happens if Devenv throws an exception when trying to add components, Iv'e seen it hundred's of times, on all manner of platforms/windows/visual studios

You can start "Devenv.exe" with /safemode as a switch, so that when this happens instead of things silently failing you can actually get to see the exception report that caused it, and hopefully then know what the cause is.

Cheers

Shawty

Jan 4, 2010 at 12:46 AM

Thanks Shawty for the suggestion.

I tried it but the results were not very helpful.
This is the error dump:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH
  Application Name:    devenv.exe
  Application Version:    9.0.30729.1
  Application Timestamp:    488f2b50
  Fault Module Name:    unknown
  Fault Module Version:    0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp:    00000000
  Exception Code:    c00000fd
  Exception Offset:    0f48db3c
  OS Version:    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:    1033

Mar 28, 2010 at 9:17 AM
Edited Mar 30, 2010 at 5:19 AM

READ THE NEXT POST BY TIDYUP!

I had similar problems but traced my problem down to PolarGraphics.ToPointF. It calls itself recursively causing overflows and crahing VS.

I notice that jberd126 made an issue in which he gives a fix (A little different from mine but I've tested it and it works) check out this issue "Compass crashes on desktop" http://gps3.codeplex.com/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=8506.

For the record I'll paste jberd126 solution here - all credit to them:

Calls to PolarGrahics.ToPointF(PolarCoordinate coordinate) cause infinitely recursive call.

/// <summary>Converts a polar coordinate to a precise pixel coordinate.</summary>
public PointF ToPointF(PolarCoordinate coordinate)
{
return ToPointF(coordinate);
}

I think it's suppose to perform an explicit cast to PointD:

{
return ToPointF((PointD)coordinate);
}
Mar 30, 2010 at 5:17 AM
Edited Mar 30, 2010 at 5:23 AM

I take it back... (sorry jberd126) Use my fix as his fix won't convert the polar coordinate correctly and will cause problems when you try to use the controls that call DrawRotatedString like compass and satellite viewer:

/// <summary>Converts a polar coordinate to a precise pixel coordinate.</summary>

{

return ToPointF(ToPointD(coordinate)); //fixes problems with DrawRotatedString

}