Register GPS Device and Get Position

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:54 AM

I use the version 2.3 for CF3.5. in Toshiba Portege SmartPhone with Windows Mobile 6.1. The internal Portege GPS device is: GPS QualComm GpsOne Card version 0.0.

I have to manually register a GPS device and I do it this way:

GeoFramework.IO.Serial.SerialDevice.Com4.BaudRate = GeoFramework.IO.Serial.BaudRate.Baud4800;
Devices.RegisterGpsDevice(GeoFramework.IO.Serial.SerialDevice.Com4, "NMEA-0183");

And then:

Interpreter.Start();

I do it the right way?

The problem I have is: I start my application in my home where there is no signal or low signal from GPS satellites to position.

I go out and find satellites in SatelliteSignalBar, but none appears with his number highlighted in green (which I assume indicates that the satellite signal has been achieved)

I wait 15 minutes, but did not get position/statellite number in green. Right now if I stop the application and turn it on I positioned correctly.

What am I doing wrong? How can I fix it?

Thanks.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:36 PM

When it happens what I comment on the previous post, this exception appears in the VS2008 Output Debug, all the time:

A first chance exception of type 'GeoFramework.Gps.Nmea.NmeaSentenceException' occurred in GeoFramework.Gps.PocketPC.dll
A first chance exception of type 'GeoFramework.Gps.Nmea.NmeaSentenceException' occurred in GeoFramework.Gps.PocketPC.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.FormatException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
A first chance exception of type 'System.FormatException' occurred in mscorlib.dll

What does it means?

Coordinator
Oct 24, 2009 at 7:09 PM

This is the GPS.NET 3.0 forum.  You would probably benefit from using GPS.NET 3.0 instead of version 2.0 because of the improved support for QualComm GPS chipsets.  Let's get you upgraded, which will resolve this issue.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Ok, I will update to version 3.0.

The way I manually register a device is correct in version 3.0?

GeoFramework.IO.Serial.SerialDevice.Com4.BaudRate = GeoFramework.IO.Serial.BaudRate.Baud4800;
Devices.RegisterGpsDevice(GeoFramework.IO.Serial.SerialDevice.Com4, "NMEA-0183");

I cannot use the device auto detection because my program uses a bluetooth com port for another device that is not a GPS, and if I use this option the GPS.NET dll occupies this port.

Thanks,