Apr 6, 2010 at 10:41 AM
Edited Apr 6, 2010 at 10:44 AM
No problems SquireDude, I know what it's like to try to get into this kind of thing ;)
When you add the extra information to your post you might want to just copy the relevent information from the output window in VS - might save you some typing. As I mentioned before the I don't know how stable the "stable" releases are (on the
download page) you may want to checkout or download the latest trunk revision from the code repository...
If you want to map something you will want to use some kind of mapping component as writing this sort of thing from scratch is a major undertaking - there is an awful lot to do so you may want to have a look around at your options. I suggested MapWindow
and I still think this is probably your best bet as it satisfies your requirements as listed:
* Windows C# stand-alone desktop application
* Loads displays vector and raster file formats (though I'm not familiar with BSB - got a link to more info?)
* Can display graphic overlay information as well as handle user interaction click drag etc...
* Has an existing NMEA GPS plugin (Check the licensing for this plugin as it may differ from MapWIndow itself).
* Is easily extensable via a plugin architecture.
* It is stable and still has very active development (Take a look at the V6 Beta).
* Has good documentation and development resources (wiki, forum, guides etc)
* Is released under a commercial friendly licence (LGPL I think - this may not matter if your app is going to be open source).
MapWindow will give you a good launch point as it is a great environment to prototype your functionality to see if it's up to the task your planning for it, besides if you need any of the functionality of the GPS .NET 3.0 project (it's far superior and covers
more navigational scope than the GPS plugin in MapWindow) you can still incorporate it into your app!
Were getting off track from the purpose of your original post so maybe this isn't the place to go in to much more detail - If you need more help I
may be able to provide it (if time permits) if you contact me directly...